Alverno’s Online EdD Program
Every stage of academic development needs leaders and instructors who can shape learning communities and help students and faculty achieve their best. Alverno College offers educators like you the opportunity to prepare for higher service through a learner-centered Doctor of Education focused on challenging you to grow. In our online EdD program, you will develop practical skills for transformational leadership in public and private schools at all levels and for providing engaging, effective instruction in higher education. These leadership skills can also transfer to many other industries.
- Dissertation support – Beginning on day one of your program, you’ll get the support you need to hone your qualitative and quantitative research skills, all designed so you produce a dissertation that makes a meaningful contribution to the field of education.
- Flexible scheduling – Alverno College’s EdD combines online coursework with two on-campus weekend residencies so you can continue working while preparing to advance your career.
- Meaningful connections – Our online EdD program features a cohort format with small classes of professionals who advance through the program together. You’ll have the opportunity to make strong personal and professional connections with classmates and faculty.
- Career support – Take advantage of our career support services through Alverno’s Career Studio. The Career Studio supports students through job search planning, the preparation of resumes and curriculum vitae, mock interviews, and alumnae networking and mentoring.
Online EdD Program Features
- Degree completion in only two years – Expedite the impact on your career.
- Doctoral core curriculum – Extend your knowledge and skills in curriculum development, education policy and law, ethical issues, community outreach, and more.
- Three concentrations – Tailor your EdD for your goals: Choose from a K–12 Leadership concentration, Teaching and Learning in Higher Education concentration or Higher Education Leadership concentration.
- ABD completion option – If you have achieved All But Dissertation status, you’ll have the support you need to complete your doctoral work with a concentration in Teaching and Learning in Higher Education.
- EDS to EDD – If you’ve earned your EdS, Alverno’s EdS to EdD bridge program allows you to apply 15 credits from your EdS towards your Doctor of Education.
- Superintendent track – As a K–12 Leadership student, you can also pursue optional additional coursework to prepare you for superintendency. This includes a tailored course and a superintendency practicum experience.
You can complete your EdD with us in as few as two years of study. The online EdD consists of 54 total credits or 57 if you choose the optional superintendency track. The ABD program consists of 27 credits.
Explore Our EdD Concentrations
Extend your skills with a deep dive into curriculum planning, special-needs education, policy and law for private and public K–12 schools, with the option to pursue courses to prepare you for candidacy as a superintendent.
Deepen your leadership expertise for post-secondary institutions, including budgeting, student affairs, use of data, accreditation and more.
Develop skills and knowledge for developing effective course content, delivering engaging instruction and assessing student performance in the twenty-first-century higher education environment.
Build on your previous EdD coursework with content from our Teaching and Learning in Higher Education Concentration. Complete your doctoral work and dissertation with personalized support from an advisor — all starting on day one.
If you’ve earned your EdS, Alverno’s EdS to EdD bridge program allows you to apply 15 credits from your EdS towards your Doctor of Education. As an EdD student, your EdS courses count as elective credits towards your EdD and take the place of your concentration.
Earn your EdD online with Alverno College and raise your voice for today’s students. Contact us now to start your journey.